Monday, September 08, 2008



PULLED AND SAFE


In rescue, we refer to physically going and getting a dog out of a shelter and into foster care as "pulling" the dog.
Please indulge the Boastful Boston for just a few lines as I let you know that I had my first "pull" with this wonderful little girl. She had been picked up by animal control in my home town and was in a cage at the pound. The shelter held her for their required time period to see if an owner called to claim her... no one did. BTRNC was made aware of her presence, our rescue coordinator made a call and much to our pleasure, the shelter was willing to work with us and let a volunteer pull her. I was leaving town the next morning for 5 days headed through North Carolina. She had to be checked out by a vet, vaccinated and evaluated for behavioral issues and I had to pick her up before the shelter closed for the day so I could give her a ride the next day to North Carolina. A tall order for an over worked shelter but we did it and I picked up BeeGee 10 minutes before the shelter closed. She was so dirty that she came in my front door and directly to the bathtub. I didn't know this dog, how would she react in a bath tub for goodness sakes? Perfectly as a matter of fact - like I had been bathing her all her life. Her toe nails were so long they were curled under and around. To avoid the risk of cutting the quick of the nail, I opted to wait until she got to the vet in NC the next day to get them cut.

Bee Gee you may ask - what kinda of name is that? Well, I thought on the way to the shelter that I would call her Lady - she was a girl after all and she needed a name. When I walked in and saw her with a volunteer in the lobby - I knew that name would not work. "You're a big girl," I thought. B. G. - big girl - Bee Gee!




She was wonderful and so loving. She slept all night on the blanket I put on the floor by my bed. She was very acclimated to houses, food and water bowls, back yards, doors in and out and sitting next to people. She rode in the car the next morning for 2 hours like a pro - paws crossed on the seat, happily looking out the window as the world went by. She's not a young girl, but she's got a lot of love left to give and she's laid back - no wild puppy running through your house. She and my cat ignored each other and she even dared steal just one kiss from me when I put her on the sofa.

Is there someone out there that wants to give this girl a second chance at love and life's comforts. If so, the Boastful Boston personally thanks you for a happy ending to my first pull.

2 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your heart for pulling her. It breaks my heart everytime I hear of one of these wonderful pets(little people) that have lived such a miserable life I've owned many a breed of dogs and the 2 bostons I have owned has me convinced there is not another breed that comes close to them in personally, charm,loyality & love for there people. Thank God for people like you I would love to find another boston to love & spoil.

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE HAD PETS SINCE I WAS A SMALL GIRL.HATED TO SEE ONE MISTREATED IN ANYWAY. I'VE ONLY HAD ONE BOSTON/SPANKY HE WAS 9 YRS OLD IN MARCH 08 HE DIED THE END OF JUNE 08. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BETTER DOG/FRIEND.BOSTONS ARE GREAT & VERY SMART.IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR COMPANIONSHIP YOU NEED A BOSTON.AT ANY AGE THEY ARE GREAT.KEEP UP THE GOOD YOU ALL ARE DOING.I MISS MY BOSTON VERY MUCH AND WILL BE LOOKING TO ADOPT ONE SOON.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home