Sunday, September 10, 2006

Rest in Peace, Shugi

Nearly one year ago, BTRNC members pulled a 14 year old abandoned female from a shelter in NC. She was close to death on the day she was rescued but her spirt never faltered. Shugi suprised us all and lived nearly a year with her loving foster family. Shugi passed on September 6, 2006 in the arms of her foster mom.

Our volunteer Michele tells of the first leg of Shugi's journey.

I will never forget the day I got Shugi from the Animal Control officer. I never thought she’d live through the transport. As I waited to meet Cathy for the final leg of the trip, I decided I had time to go through the Mc Donald’s drive through and get myself a snack. I got a burger, pulled into a parking spot and decided I would sit in the back seat next to Shugi to keep her company. She was so sick she hadn’t moved and I constantly kept checking to see if she was even breathing. Well, I un-wrapped my burger and noticed they had put pickles on it….and I don’t eat pickles.
So I slowly picked them off and laid them on the wrapper………in less that ½ a second this old gal moved like a lightening bolt, snatched and swallowed both pickles and was back in her resting spot! My pickles disappeared into the mouth of Shugi! Out of nowhere she pounced, Holy Smokes! So, Shugi and I made another trip through the McDonald’s drive through and this time she got her own burger- which she devoured in seconds. I nicknamed her "Pickles" after that incident.


Shugi's foster mom pays tribute to the dog who touched so many lives.

Many of you have seen the Blog on my favorite foster Shugi. I am writing this Blog to say a final good-bye to my favorite foster. I posted to the group last week that we had put Shugi down, well this one is to honor her one last time.

The nickname that she got at our house was Jabber Jaws , for the sole reason she always would snap at food when it was offered to her and my girls said it was the perfect fit.
I want to thank everybody for their words of sympathy they meant a lot, I will always remember my time with her and not once will I regret having offered to foster her or having said I would be her permanent foster mom.


I want to thank Cathy Triche for taking such good care of her the few weeks she had her, I know having a dog that sick is not an easy task. I also want to thank Roberta, Betsy, and Dawn for taking her into the rescue where she lived out her life being a very spoiled little girl.
Michele, thanks for sharing the story above with me and thanks for helping to get her into the loving arms of her foster families, first Cathy and then mine.


Rest in peace Shugi and know that you will always have a special place in my heart.
Love always from you foster family,


James, Karen, Nicki and Brittany and of course can’t forget the four legged friends, Buddy, Kimber, Tiny and Franny.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Shugi's passing. How wonderful for her to be surrounded by such love and compassion in her last months. Thank you all for opening your hearts to such a cute and deserving companion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home