Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ANYONE WANT TO DANCE WITH TANGO?

As I have said before, if I get to meet them, I will happily blog about them.  This adorable little ball of energy is supposed to be 12 but I don't think his original owner counted correctly.  He has the energy of my 4 year old boston boy, Riley.

Tango was brought to animal control because his family was moving and unable to take him. An all too familiar story lately and a sad one.  What does a 12 year old dog think when they are taken out of their home and dumped in a cold shelter with new faces, smells, and a chorus of other loud barking and whining roommates who also wonder how they got there.

My personal vet has also become my personal friend over the years - a fact for which I am eternally grateful.  She works one day at a week at this facility in the spay and neuter clinic.  She has done so many favors for me and has given me so much support over the years, how could I not react when she called me to ask me a favor - "get this little guy out of prison."  He had come trotting up to say hello when she arrived at work.

So 12 year olds don't usually get adopted so fast if all - another sad fact.  We were able to find a temporary foster home for him.  Okay, actually I begged a volunteer near me to try her hand at fostering and she reluctantly agreed.  I picked Tango up at 10 a.m. on a Sunday.  His new foster Mom works until 6 p.m. on Sundays so he got to spend the day with me.

"I don't need to take a crate," I thought.  "He will just lay quietly teathered in my car," I thought.  "He won't be up for playing with my rowdy dogs," I thought.  I need to find him a quiet place for the day, I thought.  Boy did I think wrong on all counts.

Tango is non stop motion.  I had to borrow a crate from the shelter to get him home.  We went on 3 walks while he was with me.  I had to separate him from my dogs because THEY were tired.  My next door neighbor had to keep him occupied while I did laundry at my house.  He also went to the spa for a much needed bath.  The team there told me how wonderfully gentle and sweet he was and how active he was and that he never closed his eyes while he was there. 

He is such a doll - so sweet and happy to give kisses.  He never became aggressive no matter who handled him or what they needed to do with him, including me vice gripping him in the car until I went back and got the crate.

Tango arrived at his new foster home, immediately made himself at home, learned quickly that engaging in "hump" behavior with his new foster sister was not going to be tolerated.  Poor guy only got neutered 7 days ago.  They then went visiting the same night where he met and played with a 100 pound dog. All of this was without a nap mind you and they say he is 12.....  Pshaw I say -not possible.

In less than a week, he has integrated into his foster family, does wonderfully in the crate, listens to his foster Mom and is an all around great boy.  He may have a little gray, but please consider giving this Mr. Crazy Pants as his foster Mom calls him a chance.  He so deserves it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home